Polo shirts have been a men’s wardrobe staple for decades. From the Tennis players in the 50’s to millennials wearing it to work with a blazer, polo shirts are one of the most versatile pieces of men’s clothing. Although it has become too commonplace with most guys donning it, you can still sport a polo shirt with the right elements and look dapper. Let us decode the polo shirt.
Your polo shirt should ideally be slim fit, but not too tight. A loose polo shirt will give you the granddad look. They come in fabrics like cotton, synthetic, blended, etc. The best fabric for polo shirts is cotton as it is breathable, cool and comfortable; given that it’s essentially a summer staple. Based on the occasion you’re dressing up for, these are the various ways you can wear a polo shirt with style.
- You can wear a polo shirt and go to just about any kind of casual setting. When going casual, pair your polo with the classic jeans, chino trouser or tailored shorts. It goes well with all of them.
- You don’t always have to stick with the neutral shades. Play with other colors like mustard, turquoise, salmon, etc. Nevertheless, you can add a tinge of style with printed polo shirts. A great example of that is this floral print polo by Celino.
- A colorful polo shirt with contrasting chino trousers and a pair of boat shoes is a timeless look.
- If you want a more relaxed look, replace the trousers with tailored shorts or jogger pants.
- If you want to dress it up a notch, replace your sneakers with a pair of Chukka boots or Chelsea boots; and look at how it transforms your entire outfit to something more classy and elegant.
- For a retro vibe, go for a knit fabric polo shirt. They are not ideal for the warmer months of the year but otherwise, they’re a good choice.
Striped polo shirts like this are a great option if you want to elevate your style and do something other than solids or prints.
- If your workplace requires smart casual attire, having a bunch of polo shirts can go a long way.
- Even for smart occasions like a summer wedding, a dinner or brunch date, polo shirts are just the right choice.
- Pair your solid white or black polo with a sports coat or a casual blazer and dark chino trouser. Tuck your polo shirt in your trousers, put on slip on loafers and you’re good to go. If it’s a summer wedding, go for espadrilles.
- Pair a polo only with a soft, relaxed, unstructured jacket, ideally in a natural fabric like cotton or linen. Structured wool jackets will jar too much with the polo’s casualness.
- Make sure that the collar is ironed flat and doesn’t crumple at the edges and have all the buttons done up, when going for a smart casual look.
To shop for great quality polo shirts for your wardrobe, check out the collection by Celino here.